Friday 20 March 2015

LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE BUSY MAKING OTHER PLANS


Hi everyone!

I've been trying to write a post all about life ambitions and plans for awhile now but struggled to get words onto a page which made *some* sense. I hope you can kind of understand what I'm trying to explain!

At the ripe old age of 22 (next month) and after just being given my graduation date, it's hit me like a tonne of bricks that no longer will I be in full-time education; writing essays, working on projects, getting up at the crack of dawn for 9am classes (in which only a handful of us ever turned up for and I deeply regretted leaving my warm and toasty bed for) and stressing myself until I'm ill over exams.

Yes, I agree, those are the bummer times of being in education but what about the good times? Not having to worry about money, what you were going to be when you're "older" and seeing your friends. Before starting university, I made myself stay back a year to really think about what I wanted to study and I'm so happy I did. Even though most of my friends left to go on and pursue jobs and university life themselves, I stayed and changed my mind about 100 times before I wrote my personal statement and sent it off to the courses I thought I'd enjoy. 

After deciding to study Media (which contrary to popular belief, ISN'T just watching films all day long), I was so excited to leave sixth form behind and begin my journey of learning about something I had a great interest in. After applying to uni to learn about filmography and film production (I was certain I wanted to produce films and film trailers) I found myself on the path of PR, marketing and advertising. I think I fine tuned my passion for creativity and the idea of learning about advertising and branding and whatnot and realised that maybe this was all done for a reason... staying back a year, trusting my instinct and applying to study about directing films and then winding up on the route of what I truly believe I'm meant to be doing.

I know so many people (including myself) who has had their next 5-10 years mapped out, yet are all in the same position of "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans". Yes, it's good to have goals, it's good to have dreams and aspirations too because they keep us motivated, driven, inspired and happy but you must keep in mind that things are going to land on your path which you might have to deal with first which might make you have to take a detour. 

I think the message of this post is to know that when you think you've got it all sussed out, you haven't or at least it's very unlikely that you do. And that's not in a negative way whatsoever. It's a good thing. I was convinced I was going to move to California when I was sixteen (after visiting there on a school trip - see, education has it's benefits!) yet here I am, still living in my hometown with no real plans to move away in the foreseeable future. 


Los Angeles 2010 - Please don't judge how I look, I was clearly loving life!

That's not because I don't want to, it's because whilst living your life, things happen which can be good things and not so good things, nevertheless, things. These things can make you put your plans on hold or make you realise they aren't feasible or realistic just yet. Like I said, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can make you realise "oh I'm glad I didn't end up doing that because something better has happened" or "I've changed my mind completely from what I thought I wanted to do years ago, thank goodness for that" for example.

Sometimes I think back to when I was 16 (even though I'm aware it wasn't THAT long ago) and wish I could go back to when I didn't have to think about things you have to think about, now being 22; money, student debt, jobs, the fact that you've apparently just about passed the "best days of your life" (although when I was in school, I definitely disagreed with people who told me I'd look back to miss them).

I never in a million years thought that I'd be writing this blog post, or own my own blog even but I'm 100% happy I am because it's allowed me to explore so many different avenues I didn't even realise was possible.

So yes, this is just a little post about staying positive even when plans don't materialise. It doesn't mean they never will and it could mean that it was done for the best and you might not see it right now, but in a year or two you'll see why...

I believe behind every cloud is a silver lining and I hope you feel a little bit more motivated or inspired or at least content that if you're feeling a bit like you're stuck in a rut, you DON'T have to because there are always options and your life plans aren't set in stone so do what you want and do whatever makes you happy because life is far too short!


I took this whilst in California. As I took it, I thought it was some sort of omen because I was convinced I was going to move there soon!


I've been loving this quote a lot lately. It kind of inspired me to continue writing this post!

If you've ever felt stuck in a rut during the time of leaving education and jumping into the big scary world, what are your words of wisdom?

As always, thank you for reading everyone and hope to see you in the next post!


Get in touch! 



Email: ChloesConcept@gmail.com / TakeBackWhatsYours@gmail.com




Chloe x

4 comments:

  1. That quote at the end is brilliant- I really like that. I like to believe that everything works out eventually and things happen for a reason. I wrote a post recently about why it can be difficult sometimes when you've got a plan for the next 10 years of your life, or at least your education and career. For me, I'm trying not to always be looking at the end goal, but instead taking the days as they come and enjoying life in the present.
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quote obsessed!! I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason! I think in the past I've tried planning things and it never works, so as long as I'm fulfilling each goal I have, I'm happy! Thanks for your comment, Jennifer! xo

      Delete