Monday 28 July 2014

Getting Into University.




So you've just left sixth form/college and you're awaiting your A Level results which will determine what uni you get into! I've done a bit of research (as the dates change each year) and this year, as you'll likely know, the results day for the UK is the 14th August and the 5th of August if you live in Scotland.

It's a scary time, I was in your position this time 2 years ago and it only feels like yesterday! I stayed on an extra year in sixth form because I kept changing my mind on the course I wanted to do, even though I knew it was going to be media related! At the time, I wasn't happy that I was staying on an extra year when some of my friends were off to uni but I was so glad I did because I had time to thoroughly think about what I wanted to do rather than what I thought I should do!

After the long process of writing your personal statement, (which I'll be writing a post about in the next few days for those who are about to apply for next year!) getting your references and finally applying for the courses of your choice, you've got the long, terrifying wait which you're convinced your future depends on... I thought that too.

I worked so, so hard my final year of sixth form, resitting exams I had already done okay on just to get better marks to improve my chances, putting in what felt like millions of hours on coursework and assignments and taking an extra course to bump my qualifications up! I literally felt like whatever happened, I did my best and I could do no more... but that doesn't stop you from worrying.

Throughout school, I never got the best grades even though I worked super hard for everything...the results just never came. They were okay, just not what I wanted for working so hard!

Believe me, if you're bordering on getting the grade you need, don't worry. Universities take into consideration how stressful exams and coursework can be and how much stress each person is under. I was so worried that I wouldn't get the grades I needed but thankfully I did, all bar one grade which I missed by a fraction, but they make allowances. I can't stress this enough: if your personal statements and references are good enough and you miss the required grade by a bit, there's a really high chance you'll still get in! Take my word for it. I remember people used to tell me this when I was waiting to find out and I kept saying "but they said I NEED to get these grades or else I won't be accepted!"

Try not to panic as much as you are... I know it's easy for me to say, but I was in your position this time two years ago and I can even remember how I felt and what was going through my mind when I was finding out my results...

Try to enjoy your last bit of freedom because as soon as your off to uni, the hard work begins but if you've chosen a course you genuinely think you'll love like I do, I'm sure you'll actually enjoy doing the work for it! I know it sounds crazy to actually enjoy doing essays and assignments but trust me!

I hope this relaxes your mind a little bit! Good luck for your results and I'd love to know how you get on!

Remember, the most important thing is your health and strength and anything after that is a bonus :) 

Thanks for reading everyone! 

Chloe x





No comments:

Post a Comment